Friday, February 3, 2023

THINK IT THROUGH!

 Have you ever had the experience when you made plans to do a project, put everything together, and mid-way discovered you were missing a few parts of the plan?  Perhaps a few tools or the hammer and shovel to work on your mother's deck?  Your laptop or tablet?  When I think about making a cake or preparing a dish, I start out with an idea - easy enough.  If I am smart, I consider the recipe and look into the kitchen stock to see if all ingredients are available.  I check to make sure the utensils are there.  There have been times one of my children have 'borrowed' an item and failed to return it.  Thus, putting a bit of a damper on my planning and caused me to either purchase another item (a time and money waster) or run to their home to fetch the missing item (time).  Although with the cost of gas prices now, cost could also factor into it.  Through the years, I had a bit of experience with preparing food for family, friends, events, or parties and have a fairly good organizational mindset.  

This process also applies to my business side.  When I wake in the morning, two things occur simultaneously but not necessarily in the same order.  I think what day it is and if I have difficulty remembering on those rare occasions, I think back to my last memory of the day before.  Success!  I know it is Friday! Then, a song usually pops into my head.  A jingle, country, one of my piano lessons and I have that tune carry through most of my morning.  There are times I play the song on YouTube and listen to it over-and-over.  It puts me in a good frame of mind.  Then, I start putting my thoughts together - check my calendar as I brew that first cup of java - the mornings ammunition - and fire off the first round of thoughts and plans for the day.  

I do my best to enter the most important tasks and appointments in my agenda-gotta have a bound, physical copy to take with me when needed and keep it in the same location on my desk.  I like my life somewhat organized and know I am prepared to make changes as well.  The one thing I have learned these past several decades is to be sure to think it through.  Know the weather-it could be a variable.  Know your account balance-this could be important.  AND, consider what items you will need to accomplish your day to make it flow as smooth as the Bailey's Irish Cream in your morning coffee!

Think it through!  Your failure to plan properly can cost you time and money as well as a level of disrespect or frustration from your peers and family.  If someone has to ask you more than twice (once the initial request - second a reminder) you need to find other ways to organize yourself.  Personally, I don't like asking people repeatedly for something when we mutually agreed upon something. Maybe an alarm on your phone at a set time of the day with a notation for the task will get you into a routine.   Re-examine the day's task as well as the next couple of days.  Compile a list of parts and tools in mind or on paper if needed to get the job done.  See if there is any wiggle room.  Fill your day with tasks you can accomplish-not stress yourself to the hilt by setting unrealistic expectations and always know...there is another day.  AND, if you forgot to take the agenda you placed next to your bag before you walked out the door with that air of confidence about you?  Make a mental note to do something different next time like placing it IN your bag.  It certainly is unpleasant to feel the nagging sensation of dread.  This will pass in time.  If you or someone else can retrieve it later-fine.  If not-it is not the end of the world. 

No comments:

Post a Comment