Friday, February 10, 2023

WATER

 Water. H2O:  An inorganic molecular compound of 2 parts hydrogen and 1 part oxygen.  It is transparent, tasteless, odorless and is the fluid found in all living organisms.  It can take form as precipitation, ice in it's solid state or snow, and steam or vapor.  It covers about 71% of the earth's surface.  About 1.7% is underground and the same is found on glaciers and ice caps in Antarctica and Greenland.  Also commonly known as agua.  The adult human body is made of approximately 60%  water.

My purpose in providing this information is to bring awareness of the importance of drinking water for the proper functioning of the human body.  The brain, heart, and lungs are predominantly water.  So are the skin, muscles, and kidneys.  Even your skeletal frame is 31% water!  With age, the body's water content decreases to below 50%.  All the more reason to drink during your business day.  Your body requires a consistent intake of water to maintain an optimum level of functionality.  For instance:  a 154 pound male has about 11 gallons of water.  Your health advisor or fitness guru may recommend keeping a gallon jug of this zero calorie drink with you at your desk or on the job and to strive for 124 ounces per day.

 I was working from home in an area of 6 foot by 4 foot; rather depressing and physically limiting.  I had been accustomed to working in a good sized office.  I was more aware of my posture and knew I needed to keep myself hydrated.  The room was stuffy.  On good weather days, I opened the window.  I tried a fitness challenge during COVID: $600, 3 times a week, for 6 weeks.  We weighed in each week and he reviewed my diet and emphasized the importance of water.  I wanted to quit several times.  He was quite friendly and stuck steadfast to his regimen.  He scheduled a succession of drills using different muscles at two minute intervals-consistently changing up the sessions to avoid 'muscle memory'.  He wanted the group to benefit a whole body experience.  I found it quite challenging and told my friends and family it was much like Marine boot camp!  My spouse agreed. He tried it one time and said, "I gotta give you a lot of credit.  I never worked out that hard in my life."  The coach did not give in to my red face dripping with sweat (I hardly EV-ER sweat) nor did he validate my complaints of how he was trying to kill me!  I was worried about drinking the amount of water he recommended.  He wanted my body to perform at it's optimum.

Even though I had heard about the importance of drinking water many times before I listened this time.  The 23 year old coach made an impression.  I was 62.  He was a driver.   I was determined.  He knew I could achieve far more that I did.  He understood the value of not just a good diet, but the primary component in our body.  The large part which contributes to the whole.   It made more sense to me than ever before.  Although I may not intake the amount I should, I certainly am drinking far more than I have had in the past.  It made sense-finally!  Drinking water was the start of a better health regimen.  Changing my posture from bending my shoulders forward while I work and getting up several times during my day make a huge difference in my performance AND I feel better.

No comments:

Post a Comment