Monday, August 1, 2022

FORGIVENESS

Last week, my topic was on 'apologize'.  I am a thinker.  Apologies and forgiveness are quite different actions.  I have been accused of over-thinking by different people in my life including a former manager, co-workers, and friends.  That's fine.  They don't live in my head nor I theirs.  I certainly have enough to keep straight regarding my own thought processes.  I was raised and received first communion at our Lutheran church when I was about 13 years old.  My junior high school was right across the street so, it was easy to get there if I needed to attend classes after school.  I really wrestled with the religious teacher and challenged her every step of the way.  I never mastered the bible teachings.  I refer to myself as faith based and attend both Lutheran and Catholic churches on occasion.  But, one of the concepts I am confident of today is forgiveness. 

My mother put forgiveness rather simply; 'do unto others as you would have them do unto you.'  I have some people that do not agree with my belief; if someone does or says something INTENTIONALLY-I use upper case, bold, and italicized for a reason-to harm another person it is not my place to forgive them.  I am of the belief God is the forgiver of sins-as a higher power-has already decided this for me and his son paid for my sins with his death.   I put the situation in his hands.  I live this way.  I believe this.  I do not necessarily insist OR attempt to persuade others to believe this-they have their ways and I am rather respectful of them.  I do not mind sharing my belief.  

I believe in prayer.  I practice prayer on a consistent basis usually praying for strength, for others, or for a quick recovery and good health.  Also, I ask for forgiveness for the error in my ways for things I have done either intentionally or in poor judgment.   The word judgement is used by the British while us folks in the states have deliberately changed the word and it is 'traditionally' spelled without the 'e'.  Trust me about this and forgive me if you do not agree. 

In addition, I think our society likes to say they ask for forgiveness and also like the feeling of granting another individual forgiveness for an act or deed of harm against them or someone they care for.  A very close family member has repeatedly told me I am wrong in my view of forgiveness and has made several  attempts to encourage me to view forgiveness as an act I am responsible for and I alone hold the key to relinquishing the perpetrator from their misdeed.  Okay.  I can certainly understand her interpretation and I definitely am glad she takes it upon herself to actually think about both her misdeeds and those of others.

I do think there are still others not even giving a damn as to whether one or the other is even an issue.  It is not in their vocabulary.  It is not something they even venture toward.  It is not a factor in how they conduct their life.  I bring up the topic merely to point out the view points much as you may see frequently in my blogs.  I do believe in black and white.  I do believe your actions result in consequences-good or bad.  I do understand there may be grey areas or cause for disagreement.  

What I also realize, and most importantly so, is misdeeds are done throughout the life span.  We have the power of control over our own actions-not of others.  It is how we control what we do, think, and say.  And also, how we manage our mind and the flow of the thoughts within.  

No comments:

Post a Comment