Friday, July 22, 2022

APOLOGIZE

 When you were a small child, your parents/elders taught you to apologize.  Sometimes, going as far as to  demand an apology for a wrong-doing.  Perhaps, the incident made you feel guilty, small, or embarrassed.  The impact of your words, act, or deed  on the other party inflicted an injury requiring the apology.   It was supposed to teach you the importance of understanding the relevance of your words and their depth and impact.  To not only say the words of an apology to the offended party but, show a sense of remorse or empathy in the process.  

Words:  a single distinct meaningful form of speech can also be used in the written form.  A heartfelt letter to a loved one or significant person from your past or in your current time of living can literally absolve or even transform the relationship and the event from a fiery incessant wound to a blurred memory.  Words can make amends and show the other party how strong of a person you are and build rapport and trust.

To apologize-to speak or write these two words, 'I'm sorry', can make such a rather large difference in both how you are perceived and in how you feel about yourself.  I didn't fully understand this as a child. I certainly couldn't understand the relevance of such a simple act and the after effects.  There were even times my parents would insist I apologize, I would say I was sorry, and yet I either didn't know what I apologized for OR the incident was caused by the other party.  The other party just happened to get to my mother or father or teacher first and make me look like the bad person.  Likewise, I would occasionally do the same thing kind of a 'like begets like' and it usually involved my siblings and me.  Not genetics but, familial in nature.

As an adult, I now  understand the essence of the apology and even a partial apology may better and build a once damaged relationship.  I know I can use the words with sincerity and regain trust.  Quite powerful.  Although, I also know there are times when an apology barely scratches the surface.  Start the process-regardless of when the event occurred-and say it, write it, mean it.  Apologize.

No comments:

Post a Comment