Friday, August 26, 2022

EXPECTATIONS TO RESULTS

 Setting the right expectations for the results you want is a multi-step process.  It requires a clear path from point A to point B knowing there may be obstacles in the way and having a back up plan or additional strategy to get back on track.  Take advantage of setting aside creative mind or quiet time to focus.  Really focus.  On the end result.  Start backward if you want.  Include an accountability partner within the business or a close associate you may network well with.  

 For instance; there are 90 days to a quarter of the year-give or take a few days in the business world and depending on what your actual calendar looks like.  You want 100 new clients a quarter.  You have 90 days.  You know not all of your contacts, appointments, or phone conversations will result in a new client.  Some prospective clients may take several follow up communications.  Find out what type of communication your client prefers i.e. email, text.  

Scheduling is important.  Mondays and Fridays may be better days to do work.  Whereas, Tuesday through Thursday for business calls.  Allow yourself sufficient time.  I recently went to a local street in a small town notorious for the type of client I wanted to get to know and add to my contact information.  I knew 80% of the small businesses were a good fit for my business.  I reviewed and inquired about the local businesses beforehand.  I physically visited the businesses - that's the type of rapport I want to build - face-to-face.  Although some of the businesses were closed or required an appointment, the majority of the business owners were available and quite accommodating and engaging.  Each visit took approximately 30 minutes.  I even purchased a dress from one of them for my next community event!  REMEMBER YOUR BUSINESS CARDS!

I sent thank you notes out the very next day to the people I spoke with.  I emailed the rest and made an introduction.  I will follow up in a few days for the ones I emailed.  Each receptive prospect was added to my data  base for future communications and appointments.  Each week, I will reach out to 10  business owners in different areas.  My focus is 10.  I like the number.  I can make 10 calls a day.  I can meet 10 clients a day.  I can go to several networking functions a week and focus on acquiring 10 new contacts.  I also know my goal is subject to change as I grow and have referrals from my clients. 

Set the right expectations.  Years ago, I worked in a nursing home.  We were always short-staffed.  I was assigned 14-16 elderly clients over an 8 hour shift to wash, feed twice, provide a snack, get them ready for the dining room, AND take a 30 minute lunch with two 10 minute breaks for myself.  A comfortable level was 7-8 elderly folks.   It was chaotic and impossible to meet every task for every client.  There was little assistance from other staff when you needed it-they had the same problems.  

My point:  as you schedule your day/week/month/quarter and other goals your expectations should provide sustainable growth and results.  Review the results.  Do the expectations reflect the results?  What is needed to maintain the level of production to get the results you seek?  Keep records.  Perhaps using a CRM-Customer Relationship Management company to link to your website/portal may eliminate a lot of data entry and free up precious time to do other tasks to build your business.


No comments:

Post a Comment