Friday, September 2, 2022

COUNSELING-IS IT FOR ME?

Like most of you, I have had my shares of ups and downs.  I was first introduced to bio-feedback counseling by my neurologist after a horrible migraine which, lasted a total of 9 months.  At age 26, the event, recovery, and process was difficult.  I still have vivid memories.  The symptoms varied and were intermittent.  I had tingling in my hands and arms, my face would look Bell's-Palsy-ish at times.  My tongue felt like it had enlarged twice it's size making speech difficult.  My vision was impaired; I saw some rather unusual spiked images-like floaters-which, resembled little Pac Man's scurrying around.  All of this spanned a period of 6 months, a ten day visit to the hospital, and a 3 month recovery at home.

At that time, the word 'counseling' meant you had a problem.  A mental issue.  And, you engaged the services of a psychiatrist or psychologist to talk to and pay them for their time.  It seemed like an expensive conversation.  I had girlfriends to talk to.  We could talk over a couple of  beers and laugh and cry and the world seemed much better the next day.  Problem solved; at least for until the next argument with boyfriend/husband, family member, or co-worker occurred.

Well, I gained an entirely different view of counseling when I started bio-feedback.  I learned to use my mind to control my body.  It took time and practice.  Surprisingly; it worked!  Bio-feedback remains a  part of my life. 

I ended up in marriage counseling a couple of times.  After 3 or 4 visits, the pastoral counselors told us my spouse was just not interested in salvaging the marriage and did not see any reason to continue.  Another counselor, suggested I continue counseling on a one-on-one basis with him as there was not any interest from my spouse.  That was a blow to my ego, heart, and marriage.  I continued therapy; we divorced.

I have attended counseling with a local agency, engaged in a women's group therapy, and sought a business counselor/coach as I moved on in life.  All of which were quite helpful.  I still seek 'girlfriend' therapy and find them both helpful and inexpensive.  Usually over dinner, lunch, or phone works well for me.  

I also thought I would become a counselor myself.  I was about two thirds of the way through the master's program when I realized I didn't like labeling people and I didn't care  for some of the 'textbook' techniques and theories.  I learned I have a cognitive behavioral mindset.  My focus is on thoughts, beliefs, and attitudes and how they can change your patterns of behavior.  I also realized I am good with people and enjoy working with them on finances, real estate, and business.  

The question of counseling-is it right or wrong for me?-is to be pondered.  Consider it.  There are also on-line counselors for the type of counseling you want to pursue-right from the comfort of your own home while you sip your favorite beverage, in your favorite chair, with your bunny slippers keeping your feet cozy.  You have options.  And, yes, the girlfriend/boyfriend option is usually available as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment