Friday, December 31, 2021

READING IS FUNDAMENTAL


The ability to read is an ever changing life skill.  As a young child, the elementary school I  attended - Reisterstown Elementary- offered a subscription of Highlights to the students.  This magazine started in 1946 and is still available today.  When we received the magazine, there was so much excitement in the classroom.  It was inspiring and offered a variety of topics, stories, puzzles, and word games.  Receiving this subscription made me feel so special.  The excitement grew in the classroom of happy faces as the teacher handed out the magazines.  I enjoyed going to the library - picking out mostly horse books and other children's books.  My favorite was C.W. Anderson's books about Blaze.  A beautiful horse series filled with adventure and friends.  As I matured, I recognized the power of books and magazines.  I read love stories, Nancy Drew mysteries, teenage magazines, the news papers, and Edgar Allan Poe novels until 3 am.  There were times I just could not put his novels down and could not wait until bedtime to read again.

In my forties, I began reading college books for my classes and later began reading self-help, motivational, and inspirational  books.  I attended motivational speaker symposiums to listen to the stories and achievements of well known people like Rudy Giuliani, Zig Zigler, and Colin Powell to name a few.  I have attended small and large author speaking events; my latest was Nicholas Sparks of the movie and book - Notebook.  I read industry related information about real estate, banking, and finance.  I also read novels and aspire to write full time some day.  The pleasure and knowledge derived from reading is one that never grows old.  Reading helps build the foundation of a healthy mind and can take you away from the harsh realties or lack luster day into a world of fantasy or science and history or high crimes and misdemeanors.  Successful people read with regularity.  

I just purchased a 4 book series by Ernest Hemingway.  The experience of reading them today is quite different than having to read them in school. There are several offerings of books; audio, paperback and  hard back or Kindle.  The ease of listening to a topic or story while driving is becoming quite popular.  Even learning a new language has been simplified.  

Whatever your interests, whatever your age - start reading today and transform your life - you will be glad you did.  And if you already are an avid reader, begin your own neighborhood book club.  Build a post with a box on top with sliding plexi-glass doors to stave off the weather or small critters and display multiple books to share and trade. 

No comments:

Post a Comment