Friday, December 10, 2021

 STARTING YOUR DAY

I am sure you have heard that little jingle for coffee; '..the best part of waking up...'.  Well, I am here to say how you start your day when you wake up matters.  Before your eyes fully open, before, you are truly conscious of the weather outside, and before you even get out of bed - it is important to get the blood circulating. Stretch your body while laying down.  Turn your feet side to side, up and down several times.  Stretch your calf muscles. Turn your head side-to-side and tilt it back then toward your chest holding it in place for a few seconds - then turn  it to the left, center, and right and repeat several times.  Arch your back; push your shoulders down.  Stretch out.  Now, you can start your day.  The oxygen in your blood is circulating faster through your brain and body.    

I have two fused discs in my neck, had two rear-end collisions resulting in concussions, and had started to feel so sluggish.  I started this regimen a couple of years ago and I do not experience any tingling when I first step out of bed and my day just seems so much better.  Of course there are other things to do before you shower or get ready for your the rest of your day.  For me, it is a bathroom routine including brushing my teeth and hair. Find a good multi vitamin and drink 10 to 16 ounces of water. I almost have to have coffee and on the weekends use about a teaspoon of Bailey's Irish Cream to celebrate.   Next, I read or write or check out some news and once a month - pay my bills to get it behind me.  If you are inclined to exercise, the morning before food is when you are going to get your body in prime shape for the day AND get your metabolism jump started.  

My brother died in November of 2004.  I had already broken up with a significant partner in March.  I lost a lot of weight and just could not eat in the morning.  I felt nauseous of the smell or thought of breakfast.  Over the years, I ending up gaining the weight back and then some.  I put my body in starvation mode and it hung on desperately to all that excess fat.  It wasn't until April of this year when I entered into a workout challenge at a local gym where I discovered so much more about myself and my body.  I lost about 25 percent body fat and about 9 inches.  I lost only 7 or 8 pounds but, built a whole lot of muscle.  My core was stronger; my mind felt more alert, and I discovered the importance of eating breakfast to stop to fat storage issue.  My trainers taught me diet  was 80% of my overweight problem.  

Start your day off right.  Develop a routine which works for you.  Be consistent with your sleep, increase your water intake, and discover both the physical and mental benefits.  


No comments:

Post a Comment