Friday, November 26, 2021

THINK IT THROUGH, BABY

I am sure you have had that lightening bolt sensation of an idea or situation, cupid's arrow shooting through the heart, or thought 'if only I knew now what I knew then'.  Sometimes, when we realize we made an error in our judgment, a process we failed to follow - maybe because we were in a rush, or just failed to think things through appropriately for a task - it can cause a continuous mental replay of events. It can also cause both conflict in business relationships and an impact of production. 

I have been working in my present occupation for over 20 years and have become rather skilled in the processes and ongoing changes and information associated with my occupation.  Each month, week, and day I prepare ahead of time by using my agenda to review appointments, reports, and meetings.  I may need reference materials, business cards, flyers, or pens and pads and make sure they are available.  If not, I order or collect them so I am prepared in advance to do my business in an effective and efficient manner.  A great deal of what I do resides in the grey matter in my cerebral cortex.  I don't have a manual or a reference guide for all the details and acquired knowledge.  I know where to find the resources or the contacts for information when needed.  I compile a mental 'to do' list and follow through until the job is completed.  There are times when I complete a task and I rush it through to get it done to start the next task or failed to review a recent bulletin regarding a particular subject matter.   Aaaahhh; this is when I realize at 3 am or over the weekend or while driving in traffic I made an egregious error.  I messed up.  I play the thoughts over and over in my head trying to remember all the steps I made and how or where I made the mistake.  I retrace my steps repeatedly. The constant thoughts increase my anxiety level and I cannot think of anything else.  I become consumed by the situation and have even gotten out of bed at 3 am to re-work it or send an email update only to lie awake and return to a fitful sleep.  I have learned to use certain skills to stop or lessen these errors.  I try to change my routine and follow ups and review and have learned to slow down when I get that desire to rush something through just to get it over with.  I have certainly improved - a lot! 

 As an example of thinking things through when I bake my 'world famous' rolls or cheesecake I take out my recipe and keep it in a well lit area so it can be viewed as needed while making the recipe. I clear a space to work in as well as a space for the end product.  I have a  basket lined with white napkins for the rolls or a cooling rack for the cheesecake .  Next, I get out all the ingredients, pans, utensils, and turn on my oven.  AND, I have a cup of my favorite coffee, water, or beverage nearby. I am well prepared to produce a great product - a positive result. Write it down if you have to.  Put up a sticky note on your computer. Focus on proficiency.  Learn and teach yourself how to master your task. Think it through, baby!


No comments:

Post a Comment