Friday, November 12, 2021

 Self Building

I am not referencing the construction of a home.  I am referring to the individual - y-o-u!  First, to understand my topic of discussion I cannot continue without noting the depression rates in our country are soaring.  According to the CDC (my go-to whenever I want factual data - and yes, I still trust them), reported on March 26, 2021 our nations mental health problems.  The rate of symptoms of anxiety or a depressive disorder increased from 36.4% to 41.5%.  Now, what is notable is the younger adults ages 18-29 was the largest.  These are facts.  The continuation of  this problem will have significant impact on our societies future well being.  We have become a 'soft' society filled with emotion-too much emotion I might add.  God put us on this earth to procreate and work.  As a nation, we stopped working. By this I mean we focus on quick results, have lost our patience, our ability to hold an intelligent discussion, and our work ethic.  We want others to do for us and relinquish our responsibilities and found ways to obtain drugs, legally or not, or to let alcohol become our best friend.  Working on building 'self' requires effort.  Probably, less effort than what you are currently doing on a daily basis.   Just like viewing a checking account or credit card statement, at the end of each day for 30 days write down how much time you spend during the day doing things such as:  reading, physical activity, social media, laboring your mind with unnecessary emotional stress about things you cannot control, watching television, visiting with friends/family/neighbors, working, hobbies, or even shopping.  At the end of the 30 days, take a look at what you do. If 30 days is too much of a commitment, try just 7 days or even 1 day!  I found I spent $1,200 a month at a retail store during the time my family was growing.  I was aghast.  What a waste of my hard-earned money.  I looked at what I was spending and realized almost 50% of the expenses were rather frivolous and not a 'need'.  Start building your 'self'.  Make some changes in your routine.  Cut back on things that make you feel bad about 'self' and add in others that make you feel good.  For instance:  if I allow my mind and conversation to constantly complain about my spouse that action will ultimately have a huge negative impact on my relationship and psyche.  If I talk about my spouse in a kind and loving way, hug him, and brain slap myself every time those negative  thoughts enter my gray matter I feel better about him and myself.   Remember:  you are building.  Building takes time.  Periodically, you may even need to renovate what you have built.  No worries here-we actually adapt to change over time.

No comments:

Post a Comment