Saturday, June 4, 2022

EVALUATE YOUR TIME

Reviewing the projects and tasks you need to accomplish for the week requires scheduling.  When to evaluate and making time to coordinate is the question.  This is where consistency plays an important role.    Some of these items carry more significant time while others are more time sensitive.  Whether you are in the workplace, at home cleaning out that cluttered closet, or running for a public office it is important to understand the differences of each task.

Evaluate-schedule the time.  Set aside a few minutes or longer if your world is more complex-to write down the items.  I like to use the 1, 2, 3 rule.  You will find out I like 3's.  I have 3 children.  I have owned 3 houses.  I recommend participating in  3 community functions/committees.  One is the most important.  Two is something that has value and is needed to be done and 3 is either something which can be put off OR, completely ignored.  Perhaps 3 will change with time.

As I evaluate what is important I look at dates or the timeframe needed.  Is a task time sensitive and are there other things associated with a task which are either time sensitive OR have a cost value which, may change the order of significance?  Does the task involve other people?  I have worked in a profession requiring many different departments and individuals as well as outside parties which, have to be considered.  A lot of interaction and partners means a lot can change.  Know what is involved in the task.  Get to know the individuals, department personnel, and main contacts of the outside parties.  Be sure to have good contact information and make the information available to the team.  

I also like to refer to the 'IF, THEN, WHAT' mindset-again, 3's.  While studying for my biology major, the lab work was a great hands-on learning experience of this concept.  If you mix compound 1 with compound 2, then this happens.  If it did not happen, then what was needed to make it happen?  Did it need heat or cold-a change in temperature? Did it require an acid-weak or strong-I got it!  Those labs taught  me to 'think it through'-from start to finish.  Repetition equals consistent results.  When you are confident of the process and what your end is going to look like, you will have a better grasp of your evaluation.  For instance; if my client has all the information I need, then I can prepare for my next step, and proceed toward my finish.  But, what if there is an issue that erupts during the process I need to know WHAT course of action is needed to complete to the finish.  Have alternatives in mind-know you may have 2 or 3 things you can resort to OR 1 with a limitation.  Be prepared for the WHAT.

When you complete the evaluation task, keep notes as they may become handy along the way as  reminders and references.  Handling multiple tasks, evaluating their significance and time constraints, will provide a good framework for your success.

No comments:

Post a Comment