Friday, April 28, 2023

VIRTUAL, HOME, OR HYBRID OFFICE

 Lots of discussion these days about having hybrid employment; to work from home versus a physical space in an office of your employer or your own business or rented space.  You can rent an address or host your conference/meeting at a location.  You can choose from a variety of services such as: professional business address, receipt of your mail, mail forwarding, drop off and pick up points, and even lobby and directory listings.  Have you heard of a cybercafe?  You can drink coffee and access a computer to do your business.  And, if you are not interested in the cyber cafe for business you can connect with friends or play video games.  In certain areas of the world, it is the only place to connect with the rest of the world.

The virtual office may have a receptionist to answer your daily calls and take messages, freeing up your time to conduct your day-to-day operations and attend events or meetings.  The virtual office allows you to increase productivity and reduce travel expenses.  An address in an exclusive downtown area will give your future and current clients a sense of validation and trust rather than an 'I work from home' impression.  It can increase your reputation allowing you to still work from the family farm or vacation home in the mountains!  And, that is key:  to work from anywhere in the world.  No more concerns about leaving 10 minutes late and facing the dreaded parking lot experience on the major highway to commute to your destination.

Although the virtual office may sound good to some, the home office can provide an equally satisfying work environment.  There may be some challenges when dealing with the family schedule.  Or the dog or cat may want some more lovins or walks down the block.  And, that refrigerator or pantry may be just too convenient and close to your workspace.  We must define these issues with our loved ones and set parameters.  When I was first told I had to leave my office and work from home in March 2020, I was devastated.  I enjoyed working with my work family.  My husband works outside of the house and feels I need to quit work when he comes home.  I've always been a worker and enjoy my work.  This is something both of us have to adjust to.  The cat...well, it's really hard to get Ms. Kitty to understand so I created a comfy space for her on my L-shaped desk.

I did realize that working from home got a bit old after about six months.  I yearned for human contact.  I could feel a bit of loneliness and understood how some became depressed from their isolation or frustrated by conflicts while working in the household environment for months on end.  Some people told me they absolutely loved working from home.  They could flip the laundry, prepare meals, school the children, and still manage their workload.  They also saved money and time.

When I was able to experience the hybrid office, I was so glad to see my work family again.  And, my employer FINALLY allowed my team to go back out to the community, conduct in-person meetings, and still work from home as much as we wanted.  For me, this experience opened my eyes.  I was confident in a way I had not experienced before.  I realized I could start my own business, working predominantly from home, AND meet people whenever I wanted.  I was ready to take on the new challenges of entrepreneurship and have increased my relationships and found many new and exciting things to do and learn.  

Technology has come a long way.  Employers recognize the changes and have embraced a more humanistic approach to their employees.  Opportunities abound for us to find the best work concept that fits our needs and our lifestyle.


No comments:

Post a Comment