Friday, April 14, 2023

DECLUTTERING YOUR SPACE

Do you feel cramped by the piles of 'stuff' on your desk, under your bed or in your closet, in your basement or garage?  I do.  My motto:  cluttered spaces create cluttered minds.  Your ability to think becomes more challenging.  Your creativity comes to an end.  Gradually, over time, you begin to feel frustrated or anxious just looking at the piles and depths of the clutter you accumulated over time.  Some people will even create so much clutter they become hoarders with barely a pathway leading from one space to another.  For those people, I suggest seeking help from a certified counselor.

BUT, for the masses of us the clutter is bothersome and annoying - not debilitating.  Clutter in your office space where you spend a great deal of your day slows down your ability to create and complete your tasks. You may not be conscious of its impact.  Recognizing how much 'stuff' is too much 'stuff' has a bit of a range of when is enough too much.  If you think about it, if you talk about it, if you sit in your chair gazing without much on your mind - a sort of paralysis - I believe you have arrived at the core of the problem.  

We recently had a flood caused by a leak in the copper pipe just above the hot water heater while we were over 1,800 miles from home.  Initially discovered by the cat's caretaker hired for daily visits to the feral feline (aka Ms. Kitty-she had adopted us during COVID 2020.)  That cat ultimately saved us from far greater damage and losses.  After returning from our 7 week hiatus from the life we had comfortably become accustomed to, I decided to take on the task of moving the mutually acquired 'stuff' into one half of the basement.  It took two of us hours to complete the task of organizing.  With each movement of the almost empty metal gallon containers of paint, the plastic shelving units, and red and green plastic containers filled with Christmas items it became obvious we had a lot of unneeded items taking up way too much space in the basement.

I was forced to deal with the excessive 'stuff'' and painfully aware I was a greater part of its creation than I admitted.  I began the reduction process of reclaiming my space.  Throwing a dozen empty paint cans away.  Taking bags of Christmas decorations to the Goodwill.  Rearranging my Christmas wrapping paper bins and the shelving units placing 'like' items on each unit.  It is a work in progress and one I will visit until I feel more comfortable with the items we decide to continue storing.  

In the meantime, that project led me to focus on my office.  One clutter removal process led to another.  I feel my mind is more open to my workspace and enjoy the sensation of less is best.  I look forward to a more productive and happy year in my organized space.

No comments:

Post a Comment