Friday, March 10, 2023

BOUNDARIES

Okay.  Okay, already!  I'm reminded of the 'boundary' concept by several people close me and how they desperately need others to abide by their boundaries.  I understand this is a current term being used in the psychology/social/psychiatric community.   Enough of being told I have to accept the 'boundaries' of another individual.  Hmmm.  What happened to the ability to accept one another as we are.  To be mindful of the old adage: 'sticks and stones will break my bones but, words will never hurt me?'  OR, what about compromise?  Have we lost our minds and our ability to negotiate the terms and conditions of a relationship?'

I agree with setting boundaries.  With relationships or with your work practices.  And, I will not discount the importance of setting boundaries with your time to create that forever far-reaching goal of work-life balance.  For some, that may be an obtainable goal.  For me, I am a traditionalist.  I work.  That is what I do.  That is what I like and want to do.  I do not like to sit in front of a television screen for endless hours watching re-runs-unless; it is Kevin Costner's Yellowstone.  Or, movies.  And, there is a limit for them as well. Talk about boundaries.  I refer to Yellowstone. Their lives of the characters are certainly complicated. The importance of the boundaries of their property, the boundaries surrounding the family, and boundaries in their community being central to  this drama series.

Boundaries are something we must deal with.  Setting boundaries can mean and vary from person-to-person.  Our society is not limited by the cultural norms or political agenda of others.  Operating in an ever changing society-the core of our great nation-can instill some trepidation or anxiety but, can also lead us along the pathway to growth and development.  Setting the right expectations, stretching your mindset, and listening and engaging with others allows us to be a larger part of our community, business, and family.  Boundaries can be changed.  They are not necessarily fixed and impermeable.  I hope you take a moment to reflect on these last two statements.  Open your mind, your heart, your life.  Oh, what a wonderful world we live in! 

No comments:

Post a Comment