Friday, November 11, 2022

ELEVATOR-FROM THE TOP

 You talk about stress!  Stress overload started for me in my late twenties.  I had migraine headaches, worked 24/8-yes, it felt like I worked 8 days a week.  I would later enter into one of the most stressful occupations:  mortgage lending.  Coping with the periods of high anxiety, long work days, and tending to a house, children, and an education was like balancing china plates on a high wire.  Sometimes, my balance faltered and a plate or two would drop.  There always seemed to be an ample supply of plates to replace or surpass the previous cluster.

This became my comfort spot in life.  Having a lot of plates to juggle.  I needed help to keep my sanity and not allow the stress to compound into unhealthy and problematic issues.  I learned several techniques.  One of those forms of techniques was to visualize my body as an elevator with 10 floors-the 10th floor is the top of my head and the first floor is the soles of my feet.  I divided my body-somewhat like the 7 Chakras from the inner traditions of Hinduism-into 10 levels.  

The 10th floor is the location of the stress and starting point.  This is where the mind is fixated on multiple ideas, concepts, and challenges all bouncing around in tandem with one another.  They create conflict, solve problems, require attention, and organization.  The brain, much like a computer, can run on multiple levels.  While major bodily functions are working without your even thinking about them, other brain skills are at work and used.  Some bodily functions are autonomous like:  regulating breathing, heartrate, blood pressure, digestion, and sexual desire.  You also have the ability to use your mind to change some of them.  And, with practice slow them down to decrease the stress to avoid an overload which, can put you completely out of commission.

Like all forms of exercise, learning, and skills the elevator works best when practiced.  A quiet location is helpful but, not necessary and may not be available.  Use good posture to allow even, unrestricted air flow with back straight and feet placed firmly on the floor, shoulders lowered, and chin at a 90 degree angle from the floor or slightly lowered.  Arms at your side or resting on the arms of your chair.  Eyes are to be closed. Do not cross your legs, ankles, or arms.  Keep your body and mind open.   I suggest taking 10-15 minutes to work through the session.  Consistency is key.  Light music may be helpful but, could cause a distraction.  At each level, acknowledge where you are internally.  Pause for a minute or two before moving downward.  Slowly.  Don't race through it.  Elevator can be done anywhere.

Practice provides faster relief from the stress.  Hydration is important.  By the time I get midway in my process, I can usually feel the difference.  My breathing slows down.   I am more calm.  I no longer have the high level of anger or frustration.  I am aware of my breathing-the fan softly spinning overhead.  There is less white static behind my closed eyelids.  I have even fallen asleep.  That's ok, too! I have also noticed my mind becomes open to other ideas.  The main takeaway:  get in control of your mind and introduce it to your body and create your inner balance.  They make a great team.



No comments:

Post a Comment