Friday, May 13, 2022

DO WHAT IS RIGHT-EVEN WHEN NO ONE IS LOOKING

YEARS AGO....I took money from someone.  I was a small child and no one was looking.  I was scared and still do not like to think about it; even though it was some loose change.  I did the wrong thing while no one was looking and I was fully aware of  'thou shall not steal'.  Certainly, not something you ever forget.  I learned that from my parents and Sunday school.  

I was working late one evening and one of the security people was in my building-something I did with regularity.  She usually stopped in as it was on her way home to catch up on some last minute emails- since we were not able to work from home as that time.    She impressed me with her knowledge and background at such a young age.  I happened to strike up a conversation with her about her experience  as an investigator and she elaborated on the stupid things people do. She went on to explain one particular encounter with a young woman.  The woman was caught on video removing money from a cash drawer.  There was no one around her.  She was all alone and seized the opportunity to stash handfuls of paper money down the front of her pants, close the drawer, and stand there waiting for the next customer.  AS IF, nothing had occurred.  The video was a bit grainy back in those days but, clear enough to catch the criminal act in its entirety.

WELL, when the investigator met with the woman she adamantly denied the event.  She said it was NOT her in the video.  Her supervisor and several co-workers had identified her prior to the initial meeting with the culprit.  When asked several times during the interview, the woman stood her ground stating 'you have the wrong person.'  It is known an investigator does not ask a question they already do not have the answer to.  Apparently, the young woman could not care less.  Her composure and her ability to remain calm during the interview struck the investigator as rather noteworthy.  And, somewhat incredulous at the time as most people caught on video would confess with a look of horror or guilt and some would even break down in tears as they explained the rationale behind 'the steal'.  They were fully aware of the consequences and knew they would be fired if they were caught.  They knew the risk.  I knew what I did was wrong.

Even when no one is looking, doing the right thing is a good practice.  And it doesn't mean about a criminal act.  I am talking about anything you do in life.  Practicing the right thing generally leads to sound judgment and provides you with opportunities for growth.  Others will respect you and take heed.  Lead by example; to your children and family, your community, and in your work place.  The rewards with not go unnoticed.

No comments:

Post a Comment