Friday, April 22, 2022

LEARNING TO LEARN

I went back to college at age 36.  I had 3 children, was about to lose my home, no job, and very little income.  I lay in bed one morning, the mixture of cool and warm air drifted through my rear bedroom window causing the balloon sheers to ripple in delight as I stretched.  It felt good.  Like cupid's arrow I was shot with the thought to go to Carroll Community College.  The College would help me.  No reason why this happened.  I had been trying to get a job.  I had no money for day care and a car that was 20 years old kept breaking down.  I smiled.  College was my answer.

Some things you just 'know'.  I made arrangements for my sister to watch the children and went to the Admissions Office that afternoon scheduling my first college course.  My doctor had told me the nursing profession would provide good income and later nurse practitioner so I decided to focus on a biology degree.  That was so more difficult than the many other majors out available.  But, true to my 'rebellious by nature and  non-conformist' personality I found my path. 

Along the way I realized I had no clue how to study or learn.  No one had ever taught me.  I loved reading since the age of 5 or 6.  Especially; C.W. Anderson horse book series or Marguerite Henry's 'Misty of Chincoteaque'.  I discovered you had to learn to learn.  There are many methods to learn.  Some of us are audio learners (like my son), some visual (like my daughter), and some through passion (like my other daughter).  But me.....  clueless.  I listened to the younger students and the teachers suggestions.  I found I could learn better by playing background music as I read.  I used lined index cards to write a concept, word, or equation on the blank back and the definition or answer on the lined front.  Much like those addition cards used by elementary school, I would flip them front and back and study them.  

Reading was a chore; unlike those early childhood days with pictures of beautiful illustrations.  And, I had tests, essays, and semester tests which compounded information from the first day of class-like interest on your savings account.  I read and reread until my ADD brain would slow down and the material permeated the gray matter of my brain.  It was rather painful and yet one of the most rewarding times of my life. I ended my Associates Degree on the Deans List.  

In my career, those college skills came in handy.  I am always learning, asking questions, and researching to find answers.  I am told the intranet or internet has all the answers-you just have to learn how to use key words to 'search'.  Learn to learn.  Whatever method you find helpful.  Audio books may be better than holding a book in hand or researching a white background screen resulting in severe eye strain or headache.  Find a 'study buddy' or someone to agree to hold one another 'accountable' for results.  Find a comfortable chair or learning space in your home or office or even the library.  Learning does not need to be painful.  Learning never ends.

No comments:

Post a Comment