Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Embellishing

"You have to learn to lie," - so said a wise man to me a few years ago.  Embellish he said. Expand on your writing by adding details to make your writing more palatable to your reader.  For instance:  The man and woman sat by one another.  An embellished version:  The dark-skinned man shifted his rotund body against his attractive, female companion.  The mental imagery created by each one of these statements is quite different. In the first statement - the mental imagery is impersonal.  In the second statement - the mental imagery becomes personal; romantic.  I am focusing on embellishing my writing of my Aruban vacation story.  The result:  the story is developing more than just characters and I am getting closer to my goal to publish my first book.

No comments:

Post a Comment